San Diego’s craft beer industry has exploded over the past two decades. With over 180 breweries in the county, San Diego is recognized as the “Craft Beer Capital of America.” We recognize the market has become more competitive and thriving breweries are ones with skilled management, including financial management.
PBO Advisory Group understands the unique challenges that breweries face and has become a part of this growing industry by providing a wide range of services to breweries both small and large. We have provided outsourced accounting and human resource services to breweries in start-up mode, as well as in the expansion and growth phase.
We help craft brewers compete at a higher level, become more profitable, minimize risks, and grow their business by supporting in the following areas:
- Inventory management and controls
- Developing packaged beer units costs including direct costs (ingredients and labor) and factory overhead costs in order to properly value inventory and measure gross margins
- Developing business plans with scale scenarios that show resources and cap ex capacities needed are production volume is projected to increase
- Evaluation of new projects including whether to lease or purchase kegs, return on adding a canning line vs mobile canning, and other initiatives.
- Enhancing monthly financial reporting including measurement of operating profits for tap rooms and wholesale operations
- Modeling the point where selling thru distribution is more advantageous than direct distributing.
- Excise tax calculation & filing support
- Other best practices in common use by the more mature breweries